The Bellagio Initiative on the future of philanthropy and development in the pursuit of human wellbeing is a series of global consultations that aims to contribute a forward looking framework for philanthropy, reflecting the changes taking place in the field and practice of development, to address 21st century opportunities for promoting human well-being.
Placing a concern with human wellbeing at the centre of its inquiry, the Bellagio Initiative seeks to:
- Identify the most important issues and opportunities in promoting sustainable human wellbeing given today's global context
- Explore the landscape of people and resources involved in and relevant to philanthropy and international development, as well as how this is changing and with what consequences
- Uncover innovations and opportunities to be nurtured and developed to promote wellbeing.
The project is led by the Institute of Development Studies (IDS) and the Resource Alliance, with support from the Rockefeller Foundation.
Throughout 2011, the Initiative engaged a diverse international cast of practitioners, opinion leaders, social entrepreneurs and donors to deliberate on innovative solutions for philanthropic and development action. The Initiative featured:
- A high-level Summit at the Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Center, Italy, from 8 – 22 November 2011
- Consultation meetings with key constituencies around the world
- Commissioned papers.
Neelam Makhijani, Chief Executive of the Resource Alliance, said: "This represents a unique opportunity for those working at the grassroots level, improving wellbeing in their communities, to engage in cross-sector dialogue on today's most pertinent issues. We anticipate that the innovative solutions to strengthening strategic and sustainable philanthropy discussed throughout the Bellagio Initiative will lead to constructive action in the years to come."
The Resource Alliance held four global consultation meetings between August and October 2011:
- Philanthropy in BRIC countries – New Delhi, India
- Philanthropy in Africa: A dialogue – Accra, Ghana
- Philanthropy in Middle Income Countries – Budapest, Hungary
- INGOs and Philanthropy – Noordwijkerhout, the Netherlands.
The Resource Alliance also commissioned a report to provide an overview of philanthropy and the 'philanthropic eco-system' that has evolved over the recent decade. Special focus of the report is on overseas philanthropy and philanthropic money for development causes. This report approaches the still heated debate around development and aid from various angles, bringing the perspectives of grantees and recipients of philanthropic development resources to the table as well as those of funders and donors. It represents an aggregation of available data on resources and money flows as well as an extensive qualitative analysis of the philanthropic eco-system based on in-depth interviews with leading experts. Download the report now!
The Bellagio Summit
The Bellagio Summit took place over 15 days from 9-23 November 2011at the Rockefeller Foundation's Bellagio Center, in Italy. It brought together a wide range of actors from across the globe and was divided into four different modules:
- Trends and opportunities in development and philanthropy in the 21st century
- Mobilising new resources for promoting wellbeing
- New frameworks for philanthropic innovation and action in a changing world
- Synthesis and closing.
A summary of the key messages and actionable commitments emerging from the summit can be found in the Aide Memoire
Read the final report on the challenges and opportunities for wellbeing in the 21st century.