Thailand NGO Awards
The first Thailand NGO Awards, which help to promote good governance and programmes that create real impacts on development and, in turn, raise the standards of development in Thailand and neighbouring countries, were launched in 2011.
There are 65,457 NGOs in Thailand working to promote education, public health, social welfare and associations’ promotion. These NGOs provide the populace with a voice in decision-making and work in co-ordination with the government to develop the country. They have also contributed to socio-economic growth, considering the sector’s GDP that is accounted for 72,112 million Baht that created 792,517 volunteering jobs in 2008.
The Thailand NGO awards are organised in partnership with the Kenan Institute Asia (K.I.Asia), a non-profit development organisation working to promote results-oriented sustainable development in Asia. They are Thailand’s leading provider of CSR training, research, and advisory services and are therefore a natural partner in this project. The K.I.Asia has experience organising similar projects with NGOs, including managing a small grants programme for NGOs working on environmental issues for USAID, initiating an NGO/private sector network to encourage collaboration between sectors on working towards sustainable development, and they are implementing a civil society capacity building project in the Lao PDR with support from the UN.
Not only do the Thailand NGO Awards advance the country’s non-profit sector by promoting financial sustainability and strengthening community support of civil society, but they also seek to:
- Promote good standards and practices in resource mobilisation, accountability and transparency
- Recognise and celebrate excellence in the non-profit sector
- Identify and strengthen successful resource mobilisation practices
- Create examples and inspiration for other non-profit organisations and promote cross-regional learning
- Promote the overall credibility of the non-profit sector for long term sustainability.
NGOs can apply under one of three categories, based on their annual revenue of 2011:
- Small: annual revenue under three Million Baht
- Medium: annual revenue between three to 15 Million Baht
- Large: annual revenue over 15 Million Baht.
From the full list of applicants, 24 Shortlists (two candidates of each category from each region) are screened and 12 Finalists are selected (one each from the Small, Medium and Large categories from each of the four regions). This selection process occurs entirely at the regional level.
Organisations will be evaluated on:
- Effective and sustainable mobilisation of resources from the local community
- Demonstration of efficient management of resources, good governance, practices, transparency and accountability and effective communication
- The impact of their work in bringing about tangible benefits to its target communities
- Organisations meeting the criteria will be shortlisted for a site visit by a team of assessors in each region.
- Local or international organisations registered in Thailand as associations or foundations, at one of the following institutions: The Ministry of Finance, The Ministry of Interior, and The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security
- Organisations that propagate political or religious doctrines are excluded from participation
- NGOs from all over Thailand are invited to enter the competition. Based on their locations (four regions - North, South, Northeast and central) and applied categories.
The top national winners of each category will be awarded the title of 'Thailand NGO of the Year', and a cash prize of 200,000, 150,000, 100,000 Thai Baht, a trophy, and a certificate respectively, to be used as unrestricted costs for strengthening internal systems and processes. In addition, special awards (Big Idea Small Budget, Innovative Fundraising Campaign, and the Outstanding Volunteer) will be awarded to the finalist best practices. All regional finalists will receive a certificate.
Thailand NGO Awards 2012
The Thailand NGO Awards 2012 programme was officially launched with a press conference on 3 May at the Grand Mercure Fortune Hotel in Bangkok.
Four regional workshops on resource mobilisation then took place. In the Central region 75 participants attended from 54 organisations , in the North region 49 participants attended from 36 organisations, in the North-East region 39 participants attended from 23 organisations, and in the South region 37 participants attended from 23 organisations.
Please read the full workshop report.
The Resource Alliance, Kenan Institute Asia and the Rockefeller Foundation are delighted to announce that 100 entries were received for the Thailand NGO Awards 2012. Of these entries 24 were shortlisted by a panel of assessors and were subject to a site visit for due dilligence. At this stage organisations had their entry information and supporting documentation scrutinised against the selection criteria, resulting in 12 organisations being selected as finalists.
The winners were announced at a ceremony on 13 September in Bangkok. The winners are:
- Folk Doctor Foundation
- New Life Center Foundation
- The Education for Development Foundation (EDF)
For the first time this a number of organisations were awarded with special prices to recognise outstanding achievements in their work, with a particular focus on fundraising. The winners of the special prizes are:
- Sun Sai Luang Sub-District Community Health Volunteers
Big Idea, Small Budget:
- Capacity Building for Strengthening Community of Pai District Organization
Big Idea, Small Budget
- Siam-Care Foundation
Full details of the Thailand NGO Awards 2012 can be found in the casebook.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions or for further details.
We would like to thank everyone who submitted an entry to the Thailand NGO Awards 2012, and wish congratulations to the winners!
Thailand NGO Awards 2011
The awardees of the Thailand NGO Awards 2011 are:
NGO of the year
- World Vision Foundation of Thailand
- Foundation for Slum Child Care under the Patronage of HRH Princess Galayani Vadhana Krom Luang Naradhiwas Rajanaga
- Foundation for the Welfare of the Crippled under the Royal Patronage of HRH the Princess Mother
- AIDS Network Development Foundation
- Association for the Promotion of the Status of Women
- Bangkhae Home Foundation
- Foundation for Rehabilitation and Development of Children and Family (FORDEC)
- Human Development Foundation under the Royal Patronage of HRH Princess Srirasmi
- Loei Fund for Nature Conservation and Sustainable Development
- Muslim Attorney Centre Foundation
- The Volunteers Club of Public Health for Sun Sai Luang Sub-District
- The Education of Development Foundation (EDF)
Well done to everyone who entered the Thailand NGO Awards 2011.